This wooden structure belonged to Hayes & Rider piano fortes company (formerly Hayes Lattin & Co.). It had been abandoned when R. D. Eaton purchased the building in 1892, then on Piano Street (later to be named Eaton Avenue).
1900 - The Norwich Pharmacal Co. moved into this abandoned building. This was the headquarters for the company until 1990's. This same year building #1 was built.
May 26, 1904 - A major fire destroys a large part of two Hayes & Rider wooden buildings which were on the site originally causing $40,000-$50,000 in damages. Rebuilding began almost immediately.
1905 - Plant consisted of three buildings: The buildings #2 and #3, an office building and several warehouses.
1913 - Building erected for manufacturing aloin, podophyllin, and other extracts and oleoresins.
1916 - A new warehouse and a 5 story extracts building were built.
1919 - Another warehouse was constructed.
1920-1929 - Buildings constructed: #21 receiving, #28 carpenter shop on Elm Street, #27 legal on Eaton Ave.
1928 - New administration building #27 was completed.
1932 - New storage building was completed.
December 1938 - Piano Street was renamed Eaton Avenue by Norwich Common Council (new law required use of street address on every package) renamed to honor the Eaton Family.
1946 - Construction begins on additional production building #30 and modern office building #31. Building #1 was removed entirely and 21 feet off the east end of building #2.
1948 - Construction of buildings #30 & 31 were complete.
1951 - A "Sterile" plant is built along Elm Street.
1961 - The Eaton Avenue complex of buildings at it's peak. In subsequent years, all major building projects took place either at Woods Corners or North Norwich.
1983 - Renovation began of several buildings at Eaton Avenue.
1986 - Sales training room in the basement of building #27 was completely overhauled and refurbished.
1987 - Renovation of the fifth floor of building 5 for ITQ (Implementing Total Quality) & Human Resources Dept. for future training needs.
1989 - Building #52 opened as a Personal Computer Training Center and building #61 was razed.
1993 - P&G announce the closing of Eaton Avenue Facility due to consolidation and organizational restructuring.
1994 - A special task force was formed to find a use for the building and turn it into a community asset.
1995 - Procter & Gamble donated what was to become known as The Eaton Center to the Chenango County Area Corporation (CCAC). This gift was to provide greater economic opportunities, for the purpose of attracting new businesses to the Chenango County region and to help replace employment opportunities in Chenango County in the wake of P&G and other corporate downsizings that occurred in the late 1980's. Procter & Gamble did this as part of their commitment to the greater Norwich area and their belief in the people of the region. At a press conference on January 11, 1995 The Eaton Avenue task Force announced its recommendation for the transition of ownership to the Chenango County Area Corporation. Under these guide lines the CCAC decided, with Procter & Gambles endorsement to transform the facility into an entrepreneurial incubator. The name was changed to The Eaton Center with the commitment to foster new and growing business's in Chenango County.
May 1995 - Del Webster was hired as The Eaton Center Director, to build a facilities management team that would maintain the facility and renovate it to accommodate the needs of a growing multi-tenant entrepreneurial community.
Webster was guided by volunteer leaders from the CCAC Board of Directors. John Huhtala, a former P&GP executive and president of the CCAC Board served as The Eaton Center Executive Director until mid-1998 and is credited, among others, with providing the vision and leadership necessary for The Eaton Center's early success and growth.
1996 - There was a $650,000 building enhancement project. This project was to change the appearance of The Eaton Center from a factory setting to a tenant friendly professional office building. This face lift made the challenge of marketing the building to new and growing business's easier. The slogan chosen for The Eaton Center "Where business visions become a reality."
1997 - Building 28, second floor was remodeled with a new entrance and elevator for the opening of the Chenango Memorial Hospital Dental Center.
1998 - The Serendipity Café was incorporated into the first floor of building 30 to further establish The Eaton Center as a professional office building.
1999 - The Eaton Center is well on its way to achieving its occupancy rate. Large, small and startup businesses are all welcome. Rent covers utilities, housekeeping, trash removal, grounds maintenance and other normal building services at no extra cost, in a facility with an on-site staff and 24-hour security coverage. The slogan chosen for The Eaton Center: "Your 21st Century Business Village".
October 1999 - The Lt. Gov. Mary Donohue, was in Norwich to deliver the announcement of the State university's Norwich Branch Campus to relocate to a new 36,000 square foot, two story building at The Eaton Center.
August 1999 - The Eaton Center has been part of Chenango County's economic development effort for four years. The 200,000 square foot Facility occupies 8 acres at the southern end of the Norwich Business Improvement District. Located in the Greater Norwich economic Development Zone, The Eaton Center is home for over 50 business, professional, not-for-profit and personal tenants. More than 350 people work at or visit The Eaton Center each weekday.
2000 - David Wagoner, a former Community Development Director for the city of Norwich and a CCAC board member, was appointed Executive Director for The Eaton Center and to transform the CCAC into the lead economic development arm for Chenango County.
September 2000 - Del Webster, Director retired and Louie Barnes was promoted to Property Manager.
July 2002 - Building 52 was torn down to make room for SUNY Morrisville College.
October 2002 - To accommodate growing tenant activity and growth in the capacity of the Eaton Center a new parking lot is built on Conkey Ave. next to building 50, adding another 53 parking spaces.
2003 - The Eaton Center is a fully functional multi-tenanted office complex.
2007 - Ownership changed to a private corporation and systems have been updated to state of the art climate control and access systems.
2013 - The Eaton Center Constructs a State of the Art Physical Therapy Unit for Chenango Memorial Hospital
2014 - The Eaton Center constructs 23,000 SF of space for the New York State Unified Court System
The Eaton Center has been through many changes since the late 1800s, when a piano fortes manufacturer stood on this site.
Today, the Eaton Center is poised to enter yet a new era. With a long history as an economic hub in Norwich, NY, The Eaton Center is the perfect place to relocate a business or medical practice or to start a new venture.
With offices as small as 200-square feet or as large as 10,000-square feet, The Eaton Center has spaces to fit every need in one convenient location. Existing tenants include an array of physicians, dentists, professional service providers as well as a café, fitness center and other businesses that make The Eaton Center an attractive place to work.